Powering on your first Meraki Access Point
The following is a brief overview of the steps required to add an access point to your network:
- Unpack your AP and attach it to power (via adapter or PoE) and a wired connection with Internet access.
- After powering on, your AP will download the latest software. This may take up to an hour, depending on the Internet connection speed. While upgrading, the AP's power LED will flash orange. Once the AP has checked into dashboard, the LED will turn green. Note: A solid orange light indicates that the device has not checked in with the Meraki cloud yet.
- Log into the Meraki Dashboard (http://dashboard.meraki.com). If this is your first time, create a new account.
- Find the Dashboard "network" to which you plan to add your APs, or create a new network. NOTE: Separate networks must be created for different Meraki device types (MR, MX, MS, etc).
- Add your APs to your network. You will need your Meraki order number (found on your invoice if you ordered directly from Meraki) or the serial number of each AP, which looks like Qxxx-xxxx-xxxx and is found on the bottom of the unit. You will also need your Enterprise Cloud license key, which you should have received via email from firstname.lastname@example.org or your authorized Meraki distributor.
- Once the AP is upgraded, ensure that an IP address is assigned to the AP correctly (see below).
- Make your desired configuration changes under the "Configure" section of Dashboard.
- You're done!